A Message From Principal Colon
I am a proud Williamsburg native. I was born, raised and educated in the very neighborhood of PS 196. I received a Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education from New York University, and a Master’s Degree in Special Education and Administration from Fordham University. Many find it hard to believe, but I have been an educator for over 30 years. Although I've taught at various schools throughout Brooklyn, my love for Williamsburg led me to PS 196. I have been principal for the past 12 years. Prior to that, I was an administrator for 17 years. I am truly dedicated to my school and my community. Here at PS 196, we proudly foster a family-oriented culture. One of my greatest beliefs is to educate the whole child, and in the fall of 2015 we introduced the students, staff and parents to a brand new wellness program with the Sonima Foundation. Our goal at PS 196 is to provide challenging and enriching curriculum that will create opportunities for students to discover their passions and talents. All while doing so, I am still discovering some of my own passions, including my newfound excitement for yoga! I still reside in Williamsburg with my husband and four children, keeping my two families within reach.
News & Announcements
- The last day of school is June 28th p/u @ 11:50am. Have a fun, relaxing and safe summer vacation!
- There are open spots available for new students at P.S 196, tell your family & friends!
- 196 is a Magnet School for STEAM! Check out our flyer - PS196 Magnet Flyer
- Call us for a tour @ 718-497-0139
A Big Thank You To ...
Thank you to the many people who volunteered their time to come to P.S 196 Career Day! The kids were exposed to hundreds of occupations and had a ton of fun!
The staff at P.S 196 would like to send out a huge THANK YOU to Mrs. Colon and Mrs. Casey for giving us the best Teacher Appreciation party that anyone could ask for! Thank you for going above and beyond as our administrators. You made us feel like celebrities!
Career & Leadership Day
A cozy neighborhood school in trendy East Williamsburg - PS 196K The Williamsburg Bridge Magnet School for Communication and Media Arts is a warm and friendly place where students receive a well-rounded education and individualized attention from their teachers. The school has the feel of a close-knit community where everyone works diligently to infuse learning with a sense of fun. Through the magnet program, students have access to hands on project based learning experiences that include technology, the arts, cooking and more!
- Magnet School of Communication and Mixed Media Arts.
- Health & Wellness program sponsored by Pure Edge.
- Spanish Dual-Language Program Kindergarten through 2nd grade
- One of three schools to be granted $300,000 for a community Technology and Media Center via Participatory Budget Funding
- UFT Community Learning School (CLS), with a full time Community School Director
- PROSE, Leader in Me and Showcase School
- Community Learning Schools Initiative
- Spanish Dual Language Kindergarten through 2nd grade
- NYU Lutheran dental clinic
- Grand Street Settlement - OST
- Health & Wellness sponsored by Pure Edge
- New York Cares Early Mornings
- Saturday Academy- Lego Robotics and Sports Explorers
- Leader in Me
- Kind Donations
- Ernst & Young Financial Literacy Program
- American Express Service Days
- Family Health Challenge
- Citizen Committee (photography program)
- Participatory Budget - $300,000 Media/Tech Center
SERVICES & DONATIONS
- 2nd Grade Swim Classes
- Winter Wishes
- Compass Learning Computer Program
- Harcourt Journeys Curriculum
- Aeropostale Block Room
Important Information & Forms
Adam is a great role model. He is a very kind, reliable and hard working. Adam is self disciplined and makes his responsibilities a priority, he always works to his full potential. Adam is using these skills outside of school to work towards earning his black belt in Mixed Martial Arts. Congratulations Adam on all of your achievements!
The community of Public School 196 is committed to working towards the enhancement of our standards-driven instructional program, creating high levels of academic excellence for all of our students in each of the disciplines.
We will continue to provide a safe environment that empowers all children, including English Language Learners and students with special needs, to experience greater success and confidence in themselves, allowing them to grow socially, emotionally, as well as academically into well-rounded productive citizens.
Our students will attain these goals through the collaboration of school, home and community. Through creative and comprehensive strategies of instruction, our students of The Ten Eyck School/Public School 196 will become lifelong learners prepared for the millennium.
Statement of Accessibility
We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page page or document on our current site, please contact Sarah Strong to request assistance.