Our Magnet School
As the Williamsburg Bridge Magnet School for Communication and Media Arts, we place an emphasis on providing project-based learning opportunities for our students in all modern forms of communication. We believe that a student's education is incomplete if does not provide training in, and an appreciation of a wide variety of artistic experiences. Making use of Communication and various forms of Media, as well as fine and performance Arts, we infuse all of the strands of STEAM-Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics- into our students' school day.
We will post additional dates for our Open Houses shortly. However, please call (718-497-0139) to arrange for a School Tour at any time. We look forward to sharing our school with you!!
What is a Magnet School?
Magnet schools have a focused theme and curriculum in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), Fine and Performing Arts, Career and Technical Education (CTE), World Languages (immersion and non-immersion) and many others. Magnet schools are typically more “hands on – minds on” and use an approach to learning that is inquiry or performance/project based. They use state, district, or Common Core standards in all subject areas, however, they are taught within the overall theme of the school.
PS 196 The Williamsburg Bridge Magnet School for Communication and Media Arts will be providing specialized programs for students and parents in the focus areas of science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. Through intense, ongoing staff development, we will increase student achievement by offering programs that are engaging and rigorous for the learner. By immersing our students with these programs they will be learning critical skills from professionals in these fields.
Magnet Programs & Services
- The Salvadori Center-provides in-school, hands on Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts, and Math (STEAM) residencies for all of our students
- Hosh-Music and Art residencies
- Studio in a School- Art residency
- The Pupil Project- After school Photography program
- Rosie's Theater Kids - Drama and Performing Arts Program rosiestheaterkids
- Guitar Explorers- After school guitar instruction program
- Playto- After school literacy based Adventures in Mythology workshop
- Health & Wellness - Full time Wellness Facilitator
- Cookshop - Health & Nutrition Education Cook Shop Program
- The Leader In Me theleaderinme
- Dual Language Spanish Program
- Dental Clinic on Site
- Social Services Support Programs for Families
- Recreational Activities for Students & Parents
- Free After School Programming
How to Apply
As a Magnet School, P.S. 196 is open to in-zone and out-of-zone students from Pre-K through 5th Grade.
Registration for Pre-K is a centralized application process handled by the Department of Education (DOE). The application is available online at the DOE website generally from January to March. You may submit your application online; DO NOT RETURN applications to P.S. 307. Click here to visit the NYC DOE Pre-K Enrollment site for up to date information.
Please visit the Department of Education (DOE) site on Kindergarten admissions, to see the official intake and registration process, timeline (generally from December to January), and list of required documents. You will also find the criteria which we must follow for enrollment priorities (zoning, siblings, etc).
1st through 5th grade:
Since we are a Magnet school, enrollment is open to all NYC children across the five boroughs. Priority for enrollment is given to children who reside within our school zone. To register students in Grades 1 to 5, families must complete a Magnet Application at the school site or click here to access the application.
Look at us in Action!
Rob Burstein- Magnet Director 718-497-0139